Tuesday, February 6, 2007

A step closer to greatness

So in the last week, I've gone through what I'd consider a somewhat interesting series of events, all of which resulted in my exciting new news: I've just received my first promotional CD copies ever!

The whole package I was sent, including album descriptions


See, the story starts goes this:
I decided to submit my last review of The Autumn Defense's new self-titled album to the News-Gazette. It occurred to me that I shouldn't stop at just that. I'd done a few other things for the News-Gazette, and I figured, "maybe I should start writing more regularly; I could contribute CD and concert reviews weekly." And so I talked to Melissa Merli (the Spin-Off section editor), and she said it sounded good.
Meanwhile, I thought I was going to get paid per story by the News-Gazette and reimbursed for these CD purchases for turning in the reviews to the Gargoyle and posting them online. To make a slightly longer story short, that didn't work out according to plan, and so I talked to Melissa and we decided that, although the News-Gazette doesn't reimburse writers, she would contact some record labels (Nonesuch, Matador, and Subpop, for instance) and see what strings she could pull.
All the while, I'd been reading reviews and looking at music sites when I stumbled upon a review of "Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?" by Of Montreal––their new release––and realized that they're signed to a local company, Polyvinyl. Fireworks started going off in my head, and I scrambled to contact Polyvinyl, mentioning that I live in town and that I was going to start writing for the News-Gazette soon.
So pretty soon after that, I got a response saying that they were interested––the local support was appreciated––and that pretty much brings us up to speed. I hope that wasn't too personal of a blog (i.e. I hope that I didn't come off sounding like a 14-year-old girl with a bad attitude and a livejournal), but maybe it's important to this blog too––I will have more to talk about after all. So expect comments on those sometime in the near future.

-Jono

1 comment:

Hon Don Gerard said...

Best of luck in your endeavors as a music journalist.

As the Illini Media Company apparently has adopted its current journalistic model after that of Fox News, it would be refreshing to see an emergence of unbiased commentary from a source possessing ethical standards and journalistic capabilities beyond that of an eight-year-old.

Recommended reading: "Our Band Could Be Your Life" by Michael Azzerad; "Hickory Wind" by Ben Fong-Torres; "So You Want To Be A Rock And Roll Star" by Champaign-native Jacob Slichter