Sunday, May 6, 2007

I'm sorry for the break

I've been completely unable to post recently with all the stresses of finishing my high school career. My plan is to start back up during the summer and work on this blog a fair amount. I also hope to be working at Exile on Main St. (the local record store here), but that's still just a distant dream...

In any case, I have two things to say, each of which with points:

1.) Yesterday, I turned eighteen. As an homage to Bill Sutton's (my US history teacher) obsession with singing "I'm Eighteen" by Alice Cooper, I played this song, and realized that, in fact, it isn't terrible, and the main guitar riff is actually incredibly catchy and downright cool. Actually, for some reason, it reminds me of "Black Dog" by Led Zeppelin...don't ask me why, I think that's just because I played that yesterday as well.

2.) I also purchased "Sensuous" by Cornelius, an amazing Japanese solo-artist who was once signed to Matador Records. I've only listened to this a little bit, but I already like it––Cornelius is great at coming up with crazy guitar parts mixed with strange electronic instrumentals (although he could never compare to Dan Deacon in this regard). I also got "Dolittle" by the Pixies finally, and I believe it's safe to say that while I was not completely unfamiliar with it before popping it into my computer, I still think it's one of the best albums I've heard in a while, which was somehow a surprise to my ears.

BONUS: 3.) My sister got me the Criterion DVD with the complete footage of Monterey Pop. I've seen some of the big concerts already, of course (The Who, Hendrix, the Mamas and Papas, Big Brother and the Holding Company, etc.), but hell...it's awesome as fuck to actually own this stuff––amazing.

Okay, there was something else I wanted to say, but by now, I've already completely forgotten it. Again, I'll have a few blog posts over the next few weeks, maybe, but I won't be back into the groove, as it were, until the school year finally ends. Until then, keep on keepin' on.

-Jono

No comments: